These Cinnamon Rolls are good any time of day–especially breakfast. Better still, you can make this recipe for cream cheese frosting, and slather it over the tops.
Ingredients: (Serves 12)
⅔ cup buttermilk
¼ cup butter, melted
3 cups flour
3 tps. instant yeast
¼ cup sugar
½ tsp. salt
¼ cup water
¾ cups brown sugar
1 Tbs. cinnamon
6-7 Tbs. Butter, softened
Cream Cheese Icing:
Recipe from allrecipes
NOTE: Of course, you can substitute buttermilk with milk, and butter with margarine if you prefer.
Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
1. Place butter and buttermilk in a microwavable dish, and microwave 2 times–each time being a thirty seconds–taking the dish out and stirring in between. At the end of this process, the butter should be melted.
2. In a mixing bowl, like a kitchen aid, combine 2 cups of flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix in water, egg, and buttermilk-butter mixture until combined. Remove paddle attachment and attach a dough hook, to knead the dough. Or, if you prefer to knead by hand, place dough onto thoroughly floured surface. Carefully and gradually incorporate flour until dough is stretchy and smooth. Place on a floured surface, and knead for a few minutes.
3. Grease the mixing bowl, and place dough back in, cover it with a towel, and let it rise for ten minutes. Meanwhile, combine brown sugar and cinnamon in small bowl, and make sure your butter is at room temperature. (you can put your butter in the microwave to soften it.)
4. Turn dough out on floured surface and roll out a large rectangle, about 12×9 inches. Spread softened butter generously over the top of the rolled out dough until thick and evenly distributed. (a wide bendy plastic knife works well for this). Using your hands, sprinkle all the sugar out on the dough evenly.
5. Roll the dough up tightly into a log and pinch ends to seal. Then place cut-side up on the greased glass baking pan. Cover with a towel and let rolls rise for 30 minutes. Half way through rising period, you should preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
6. Bake rolls in oven for 20 minutes, until golden brown, and sugar mixture in the middle is boiling. Take out of oven. When just warm, and ready to serve, drizzle cream cheese icing over individual rolls, and serve.
Thanks for checking out this recipe.
See below for some step by step pictures: